ASSESSMENT TITLE: Use complex programming techniques to develop a computer program NZ CURRICULUM AREA: Technology ASSESSMENT ACHIEVEMENT STANDARD:AS91906 CREDITS: 6 ASSESSMENT BRIEF: Develop a computer program to perform a task DESCRIPTION: Use Python or Java to write a computer program for a project of your choice
Learners determine their own project that develop solutions to needs + opportunities by visualizing their ideas with code and using digital technologies informed by ‘intervention by design’ creative thinking. To demonstrate their final project idea, learners will code a project using Python or Java or other approved programming language and document their start to finish process with annotated images & video content created throughout their project.
Throughout their project, 'learners will develop broad technological knowledge that will equip them to participate in society as informed citizens & provide a platform for future digital technology related education and careers'NZC
3. The programming language chosen must support the required data types, control structures, complex programming techniques, and have good commenting facilities. 4. A complex computer program: ● uses variables storing at least two types of data (e.g. numeric, text, Boolean, object) ● uses sequence, selection and iteration control structures ● takes input from a user, file, sensors, or other external source ● produces output ● uses two or more complex programming techniques. 5. Examples of complex programming techniques include: ● programming or writing code for a graphical user interface (GUI) ● reading from, or writing to, files or other persistent storage ● object-oriented programming using class(es) and objects defined by the student ● using types defined by the student ● using third party or non-core API, library or framework ● using complex data structures (e.g. stacks, queues, trees). 6. Example of ways of making a program flexible and robust include: ● using actions, conditions, control structures and, methods, functions or procedures effectively ● checking input data for validity ● correctly handling expected, boundary and invalid cases ● using constants, variables and derived values in place of literals.
ACHIEVED - MERIT - EXCELLENCE
Use complex programming techniques to develop a computer program involves:
1. writing code for a program that performs a specified task In your project documentation you need to define what the specified task is & how your program will meet the needs of the task.
2. using complex techniques in a suitable programming language Its recommended to use Python or Java language.
3. setting out the program code clearly and documenting the program with comments Use the accepted industry standards for coding & use code commenting to describe the functionality of your program.
4. testing and debugging the program to ensure that it works on a sample of expected cases. In your project documentation add annotated screenshots of testing & debugging to show iterative improvement of your code.
Use complex programming techniques to develop an informed computer program involves:
5. documenting the program with appropriate variable/module names and organised comments that describe code function & behaviour
6. following conventions for the chosen programming language
7. testing and debugging the program in an organised way to ensure that it works on a sample of both expected cases and relevant boundary cases.
Use complex programming techniques to develop a refined computer program involves:
8. ensuring that the program is a well-structured, logical response to the task
9. making the program flexible and robust
10. comprehensively testing and debugging the program