ASSESSMENT TITLE: Demonstrate understanding of consequences, responsibilities and challenges involved in technology NZ CURRICULUM AREA: Technology ASSESSMENT ACHIEVEMENT STANDARD:AS91615 CREDITS: 4 ASSESSMENT BRIEF: Write an essay about a technology your interested in DESCRIPTION: Improve your literacy skills by writing about the consequences, responsibilities & challenges involved in the technology your interested in
Demonstrate your literacy skills by writing an essay about the consequences, responsibilities & challenges of a technology your interested in. Use T.E.X.A.S literacy strategies to answer the assessment questions www.digital.school.nz/literacy Use word economy in your essay. Use less words to say more, dont repeat yourself. Make a point, back it up with fact. Dont plagiarize information from websites. Use footnote references to link to your research and any quotes you use in your essay.
Word Economy: In writing, word economy refers to careful management of the words that end up in your text. Keep sentences, paragraphs, and chapters as short as they can be without degrading your storytelling or rhetoric. Monitor your word choice to make sure you aren’t filling your prose with superfluous words that make sentences longer but not necessarily better. When you review your own work, ask yourself: “Could I communicate this same idea using fewer words?” If the answer is yes, then rewrite the relevant sentences and paragraphs with that in mind. (DavidMamet-Masterclass)
3. Consequences are those that impact on the made, natural and social world and include consequences that were known and unknown, intended and unintended. 4. Specific fields in which technological developments may take place include: medical, sporting, communication, entertainment, food, gaming, and military. Priorities that govern specific fields include sustainability, profit, human desire and/or need, attitudes to existing technology(ies). 5. Responsibilities of technologists can be both individual and collective. Responsibilities arise within environments that may include social, political, physical, economic, cultural, and spiritual.
Write your essay on Google Docs, A4 size, portrait, 1" margins. Maximum 10 pages. Arial 12 point font for all text except headings. Use page numbers & headings titles. Do not plagerize or copy/paste text from the Internet without referencing it.
ACHIEVED - MERIT - EXCELLENCE
Demonstrate understanding of consequences, responsibilities and challenges involved in technology involves:
1. explaining the consequences of a technological development in a specific field over time Consequences are both good & bad. Technological development is the process of design, expert technologists collaborating together & discussing ideas to solve problems, prototyping concepts, improving outcomes. Over time is how long the process took to design/make something.
2. discussing the responsibilities of technologists in a technological development in a specific field over time Technologists are experts in their field, how many technologists did it take to design the technology your writing about? Specific field is the technology you are writing about.
3. explaining how technological intervention challenges people’s perceptions of what it means to be human Perceptions of what it means to be human means how you relate to something, what is your opinion, what do other people think, is the technology good for society, could it be better?
Demonstrate in-depth understanding of consequences, responsibilities and challenges involved in technology involves:
4. discussing how consequences of a technological development in a specific field has influenced the responsibilities of technologists over time.
Discussing means consider something in detail. More than one perspective is put forward & considered. Use 'compare & contrast' as part of your discussions. Answer 'why & how' this technology is legit.
Demonstrate comprehensive understanding of consequences, responsibilities & challenges involved in technology involves:
5. discussing the probable future technological developments in a specific field, justifying these with past and/or contemporary evidence
6. discussing why technological intervention challenges people’s perceptions of what it means to be human. Question 3 is 'explain' & question 6 is 'discuss' technological intervention.